Ideal for compact electronics by eliminating the typically costly issues associated with threaded hardware (including inserts, tapping, cross threading, torque control, and vibration back out), the TK™ TackSert® pins can be used in most materials, are quick to install, do not work loose and produce stronger assemblies. Their unique diagonal knurl effectively holds the top panel or chassis by broaching into the base panel/chassis using a simple press-in action without heat or ultrasonics.
But what helps the TK™ TackSert® pins outperform screws in small assemblies is that they are ideal for use with magnesium alloys, which are favoured by the manufacturers of electronic devices owing to its light weight. However these alloys are not well suited to taking screws as they are low density and tend to produce weak screwed joints in electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops.
PEM® TK™ TackSert® pins deliver advantages over screws by eliminating any need for mating threads from tapped holes or inserts. The rework frequently required due to screw cross-threading and driver bit “cam-out” is also made redundant whilst patches intended to prevent fastener loosening in service become unnecessary.
Among the pin’s design features, a tapered tip assists in pin location to enable easier alignment into a base panel, a specially engineered diagonal broaching knurl (instead of threads) creates a firm interference fit without hole-tolerance issues, and a low-profile head minimizes protrusion on the attached panel.
Designed and developed to attach thin panels during assemblies, the PEM® TK™ TackSert® pins offer the following features and benefits:
- Secure sheets to common magnesium die casting materials such as AZ91D. Also appropriate for attaching panels to plastics such as ABS
- Alternative to screws, eliminating the need to tap or use threaded inserts
- Tapered tip for easier alignment into base panel
- Top sheet can be any material
- Low-profile head
- Simple, press-in installation. Does not require heat or ultrasonics
- Thread code as small as M0.8
- Pin diameters as small as 0.7 mm
- Standoff lengths as short as .028″ / 0.7 mm
- Clinches flush into sheets as thin as .012″ / 0.3 mm
- Attach sheets as thin as .008″ / 0.2 mm
- Eliminates the following:
- Cost of screws
- Cost of patch to prevent loosening
- Cost of threaded insert or tapped hole
- Cost of driver bits
- Cost of rework due to cross-threading and drive bit “cam-out”
Industry Applications Include:
- Electronic devices especially smart phones and their SIM card ejector hinges
- Wearables including smart watches, cameras, fitness bands, headphones
- Laptops / notebook devices
- Tablets / readers
- Gaming / hand held devices
- Infotainment / automotive electronics
The impact of increasing the assembly efficiency of smart phones and other electronic devices, whilst reducing costly issues as a result of screws, cannot be understated. The TK™ TackSert® pins from PEM® could lead the way as the new solution for fastening in small assemblies.
If you’d like to find out more and discover how the PEM® TK™ TackSert® pins can meet your small assembly requirements as an alternative to screws, get in touch with our friendly team of experts today on 0808 123 1221 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can go to our webpage for more details by clicking here
About Zygology Ltd
With 40 years’ of experience Zygology is the country's largest distributor for POP Avdel and Southco; and main distributor for Penn Engineering in the UK. We are in addition the UK distribution hub for Masterfix fasteners and tooling. Zygology has also recently been appointed as an official distributor for Tesa assembly adhesive tapes. We have in-house repair facilities for POP Avdel and Masterfix tools. Zygology Ltd has an in depth knowledge of the products we sell and how they can be best incorporated into yours. We will always give the best advice we can - even if this sometimes means that we end up recommending a competing technology. We combine friendly service with competitive prices and excellent stock availability.